Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 82 - Stormtrooper X



As I have stated before, I really love the work of Jason, more commonly known as JasBrick.  A while ago, Jason created his version of Stormtrooper X -

I wanted to replicate some of the techniques that JasBrick used in his figure - as I was analyzing the figure I saw several things he did that I wanted to replicate.  First of all I realized that he used a Tuscan Raider torso as the base, and painted everything else over that.  I also loved the gunbelt that he painted on the legs, and I loved the BrickArms Blaster Pistol proto. 

When I decided to replicate this figure, I decided to do some research.  The original image I used for Stormtrooper X comes from this source image:


While I loved JasBricks version of this figure, I did set out to intentionally do ours slightly different, as I think each figure should be a representation of the artist, and I don't want to just copy something ;)  One of the primary differences between our two figures are the colors we both chose - I used a darker brown for the base of my figure, whereas Jason used a lighter brown (which is more true to the source material).  My figures coat is a very close color to the same brown used in the Indiana Jones jacket.  I also used a more tan color for the shirt verses white.  I do still need to add the maroon shoulder pads, but aside from that I'm pretty happy.

Basically I achieved this by painting everything in layers - starting with the darker colors.  I then layered on lighter colors one at a time.  I chose to not hand-paint the legs like JasBrick because I was happy with the Lego Indiana Jones legs.

Overall, I think this figure came together very well and looks pretty good in comparison to the source material.  I have added a MMCB dark brown trenchcoat to him since this picture :)

No comments:

Post a Comment